Action Items for Noah Smith (ANC 2B09) and Tom Lipinsky (CM Evans’ Office)
· Request signage in neighborhood to encourage neighborhood vigilance and calling 911 when suspicious activity is witnessed.
· Request neighborhood-wide street light inspection to make sure there are no dark spots in alleys and side streets.
· Distribute basic information about neighborhood watches, including the template for collecting contact information from neighbors to be shared.
· Find and distribute best practices on lighting your house and other tips for not being a victim of a crime of opportunity.
· Send this information through the various listservs in the neighborhood.
Action Items for Neighbors
· Sign up for Police Alerts through AlertDC at http://hsema.dc.gov/page/alertdc. Make sure to sign up specifically for “Police Alerts” and not just weather or traffic alerts.
· Sign up for the Third District MPD listserv. Visit the Community Group Site: groups.yahoo.com/group/MPD-3D/. Subscribe by Sending a blank email to:
· Reach out to DCCA or SDCA or others to determine feasibility of purchasing the services of an off-duty MPD officer to patrol side streets and alleys in evenings.
· Report crimes, no matter their seriousness, so MPD understands the scope of our concerns and can target trends. You can go to the 3D station, or file minor police reports online at http://mpdc.dc.gov/service/file-police-report-online.
· Report non-functioning streetlights and overgrown bushes, branches or trees for trimming to 311 or online at http://app.311.dc.gov/CWI/ServiceRequest.mvc/SRIntake.
· Report new graffiti to the MPD gang task force at: (202) 724-1424 and to 311.
If you see something suspicious, follow your instincts and call 9-1-1! Your neighbors and MPD are depending on your vigilance – even if you aren’t sure a crime is being committed, make the call! If you have a question or don’t feel you received proper police services, call the 24/7 Third District Watch Commander at: (202) 276-7462.
Please don’t hesitate to contact the following people with non-emergency questions or thoughts:
· Lt. Lindsey (PSA 301): NicoleB.Lindsey@dc.gov
· Noah Smith (ANC 2B09): firstname.lastname@example.org
· Tom Lipinsky (Jack Evans’ Office): TLipinsky@dccouncil.us